In 1912, our founder Harry Shapiro sold dry goods door-to-door from a horse-drawn cart to the townspeople of Stratford. As his business grew and prospered, he was able to establish a storefront. As Stratford was an important railway center, this location was well placed between the rail yards to the immediate south and the downtown city center. Originally called Stratford House Furnishings, the name was changed to Hudson’s in the early post World War II years, and we have been Hudson’s ever since.
Harry and his wife Jenny and their three children: Louis who established a Hudson’s store in Woodstock, Richard who established another Hudson’s store in London, and Sylvia, who along with her husband Maurice Helperin, entered the family business in 1951 and assumed ownership of this location, all carried on the family tradition. Our current building was doubled in size in the 1940’s and doubled in size again in 1966. An addition was completed in 1999 and the entire building was completely renovated both inside and out in 2001 and completed in 2002.
You will find Sylvia running her ladies’ department, while her son Lee manages the store and her daughter Judy looks after the advertising. From our humble beginnings to our current status as one of the last family-owned and operated department stores in southwestern Ontario, one thing has remained constant as we enter our 105th year and that is our dedication to our customers.
Why Family Matters to Us
Hudson’s is one of the last family-owned department stores still in existence in Canada today. Three generations of the Helperin family have worked at Hudson’s, continuing a long tradition of honesty and quality customer service. Our customers trust our staff to offer thorough information on various brands, sound advice on what to purchase, and affordable pricing every time. As a family department store in Stratford, we treat everyone like family and take pride in crafting a reputation of integrity that has lasted more than 100 years.